Monday, January 4, 2010

Update to L&D bedrest

Just wanted to give a quick update--I had a routine ultrasound this morning (well routine for me that is) to check on the baby's growth. During the ultrasound they found that the baby had not grown since my last ultrasound 2 weeks ago and there were some concerns about one of his arms. As a result the Seton Center doctor and my midwives decided I needed to be admitted to inpatient labor and delivery. So as of now I am at Good Sam in their special care ob floor. The resident on call predicted that I would be here on bedrest until the baby was born (my due date is 11 weeks away). Currently they are monitoring the baby to make sure he is handling everything okay. They will be doing regular ultrasounds and using the fetal heart monitors to keep track of everything.

My placenta was grade 2 and looking good, my umblilical cord is a three vessel cord (which is good) and had good flow and my amniotic fluid level was good also. So basically everything looked fine on my end which is concerning because now they really have no idea why the baby isnt growing. I will no longer be seeing the midwives and am now seeing a high risk perinatologist --but on a plus side this particular perinatologist, Dr.Brady, is actually the medical director for New Hope Center and is a Believer and very pro-life! I feel much more confident knowing that he will be caring for me and Little Buddy. They will be doing some genetic testing to try and determine why he isnt growing & to see if there are any correlations and if the growth doesnt accelerate then we will be discussing whether or not it is better for the baby to stay in-utero or to be born and treated in the NICU. I am getting a steriod shot soon today (waiting on it now) to help little buddy's lungs grow faster so if I need to be induced anytime soon that will be an added help (for what it's worth they dont forsee me being induced anytime within the next 2 weeks but it is better to start the steriod shots now in case I do need to anytime w/in the next month).

We appreciate all the prayers and support! I will do my best to keep you updated--I am working on staying positive throughout this experience. It still hasnt sunk in that when I leave the hospital I will be a mama! So weird! If you all could just pray for the dr's treating me and that I will turn to the Great Physician for all my answers. I know that God is carrying me through this! He is so good!

4 comments:

  1. Lauren, I will be praying for you, Little Buddy, and all the staff. I know how scary it can be, but also how comforting to know that (like you said) you will be in the hands of the Great Physician. If you need anything (like food that is actually edible) please let me know. GSH is so awesome, I loved the staff in L&D and in the NICU.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Lauren. Thanks for the update! We will be praying for the three of you. Please let us know if there is anything at all that you need or want. 11 more weeks in the hospital will be long so I'd be happy to drop off some books or movies or any particular food craving. But definitely praying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lauren,

    All the Seaton Center docs are amazing. We have seen them through 3 of my pregnancies and we cant say enough about them. They are all very nice and very pro life. They are amazing and will do all they can for you and little buddy. I will continue to pray for all of you. If you see Dr. Lambers tell her the Talbert's said hi! The staff in the special care unit are nice as well. I was there for two weeks. Make sure you get on the list for a private room. It normally takes about two weeks. Maybe Katie can get some pull for you! Keep us updated as much as you can.
    Gina

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lauren,

    I just want to say that although i will never reveal myself- i am so happy that what i could give helped. Although we havent been close recently i just wanted you to know that you are always in my thoughts. this post is printed out and up on my corkboard to remind me to always give when a friend is in need. Thanks for being so awesome :)

    -your anonymous friend

    ReplyDelete