Monday, August 31, 2009

the love of my life

So I meant to do this post on our anniversary but I was really sick so here it is now...

We had our 1st wedding anniversary 2 Sunday's ago (aug 23rd) and it is crazy to think that we have been married already for a year! Its even crazier to think that we have been together for 5 years!! When I think back, I still cant believe that I met my husband, the man I am going to spend the rest of my life with, when I was 17 years old...only a jr. in highschool! (granted, he was 19...such a cradle-robber haha) I always joke that a month after I met Donnie, I told him he was the man I was going to marry and shockingly that didnt send him running for the hills. Donnie helped teach me what real love meant after I had spent my high school years dating numerous guys (not very many winners in that batch). He helped me realize that real love meant respect, sacrifice and perserverance...pushing through even when times are tough. I still love my schmonald as much as I did those 5 years ago and he is still teaching me so many things and definitely keeping me on my toes ;-) He was and is and will always be my best friend. Here are a few pics of us throughout our relationship...be warned some are a little ridic.

This pic is out of sequence but it was cute...this was when Donnie proposed Oct 13th, 2007. He totally tricked me and it was the best proposal ever but its a long story...for another post...
This picture was taken roughly 2 and a half weeks after we met. We met May 28th, 2004. We look like such babies in this pic! Donnie still has that t-shirt but I have stolen it and wear it to bed...I have long since outgrown the t-shirt Im wearing haha

This was our first christmas together 2004, this pic documents the one and only time I got Donnie to take me ice skating.

This pic was from my senior year spring break down in Ft.Lauderdale, FL in 2005. That trip was ridiculous and was the start of me realizing that I was so ready to be done with high school and move on to college...

This pic is from my high school graduation 2005, Ursuline Academy has the girls wear white dresses (a tradition passed down through the generations) we get a dozen red roses from the most significant people in our lives (my parents at the time) and we get crowned with a laurel wreath as a sign of victory...I think this pic is cute b/c its the 1st picture of Donnie w/ me wearing a poofy white dress ;-) hint hint


This pic was from Valentines Day 2006, it was taken in the hallway of Kuhlman dorms where I lived freshman year.

This pic was taken Halloween 2007, while I look a little inappropriate (I know, dont preach to me apparently I was dressing to attract not dressing attractively ha!) this pic is just too good to pass up. Donnie was Dog the bounty hunter....clearly...I made his fancy fringed faux leather vest and we came across the wig very last minute hence it looking somewhat tranny-like

This was taken in the summer of 2008, it was one of our professional engagement pics. Loved them!

Awh, us 1 year ago! This was taken on the lane where I grew up, this is one of my favorite wedding pics.

This pic was taken on an open jeep tour we took on our honeymoon in St.Lucia. We actually went on our honeymoon in Jan 09 b/c of my school schedule which I am so glad we ended up doing b/c we really appreciated the vacation by the time January rolled around. (p.s. I got burnt from sitting out reading twilight...not cool)
And that is our relationship through pictures, and since I end every post with a survey I figured I should do the same for this one:
What is your husbands name? Donnie (schmonnie, the boy, babe, smelly) Glenn

How did you guys meet? technically through Sam Grguric (long story) but our 1st meeting was at the ole bramble house (i.e. Dave Gautrauds house)

How old were you when you started dating? I was 17, he was 19

The first time you saw him you thought? wow, I love a boy in jeans and a white tee (luckily I still do since his wardrobe still is 90% jeans and white tee's)

Who asked who out? Donnie asked me out after "talking" for about 2 and a half months

Where was your first date? Our 1st true date was the night he "officially" asked me out (wow I feel like I'm in highschool again) Benihana's downtown and a carriage ride through the city...so romantic (did any of the sisters help him plan this??)

Where was your first kiss? the 1st night we met on Dave's front porch...yowza we were wild! haha

Did your husband ask your parents permission before proposing? yes, my little sister said when Donnie came up to my parents by himself and my parents took him into the formal dining room she knew what he was going to ask...apparently my older sisters husband did the same

How did he propose? Long story short....he proposed at Ault Park but when I went there, I actually thought I was going to see Megan get proposed to by Dave...I actually helped plan my own proposal without knowing it! Donnie knew I wanted to be completely surprised, yet he also knew I was so nosy I wanted to know every detail before! and he did just that! man, that boy knows me too well!

Did he cry? HA! nope...in all 5 years I have NEVER seen Donnie cry...I think I have only seen him tear up maybe 3 times total...I'm hoping he can squeeze a tear out for the birth of our child

What was the favorite part of your wedding? The ride up to the reception after the wedding...it was just the two of us in my toyota corolla and we were both just so giddy and happy and i dunno it was the best!

Do you celebrate monthly anniversaries or just yearly? Well apparently we dont even celebrate yearly since I was vomitting this year but really I think we will make up for it once I'm better...I always tried the monthly but that gets a little ridiculous when you are celebrating your like 25th month anniversary

Does your partner call you by any nicknames or pet names? Hmm..babe, wifey...nothing too original

What do your parents think of him? Pretty sure they love him more than they love me lol
Memory of him that sticks out the most? Not long after we were dating, I started going to a support group for survivors of sexual assualt...at the time my anxiety was so bad that Donnie would drive me, wait in the car for the 2 hours I was there, and take me home...he waited in case I got too anxious and uncomfortable and wanted to leave early...he did this once a week for roughly 15 weeks...within those 15 weeks he would write me little notes and leave me them hidden in my car for me to find later in the week...the first time he ever said I love you was in one of the notes that I found...he didnt want to lose the courage to tell me to my face so he wrote it in a note and it was the most adorable thing...i still have the note and sometimes get sappy and read it :-) This was when I realized that his actions meant love, and that I wanted to spend the rest of my life with him...
Where do you see your relationship in the future? I see us having more kids (yes, I know I do want more kids despite this horrible pregnancy thus far) and just learning each other more and more...its going through hard times that you really see what love means

4 comments:

  1. I love you! I really love the new lingo that I learn from you. Words like tranny & redic ;o) I can't BELIEVE I have never seen the pic of him as dog the bounty hunter and wasn't the date to Beni Hana the one where you sat at a table with 2 hookers?

    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, his sisters would never send you to sit with hookers, i'll have you know.

    love this post. fave so far. like Kate, I also love our new words. Presh is my favorite. wonder what you're getting from us... scary thought!!!

    -Kara

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I love a boy in jeans" made me laugh.
    good thing for sure!

    And he definatly never has a problem with great gifts or dates does he?

    Really cute post Lauren. I love to see what God has done for Donnie. You're great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are the best daughter-in-law ever!

    the mama

    ReplyDelete