Monday, October 26, 2009

yay for recalled cribs!

So not too much has happened in the past week. We bought some baby furniture off Craigslist. It has been a big debacle...this whole buying baby furniture...We looked around a few places, I researched some online and we finally found a crib and dresser/changer combo we liked at Baby Depot and even BETTER it was on clearance and the style was being discontinued so we were going to get a discounted price! It was really nice too!

After spending an hour talking w/ the sales lady and finding out all the discounts that were available (including an extra 30% off since we were buying the floor model) we were going to get both pieces for $400! It was really solid, nice furniture and if we had bought it at its original price it would have been $800 so we were stoked! I was just excited to check it off my mental check-list! I love checking off the check-list even if its just a check-list in my head! haha what can I say I get joy from the simple things

Okay back to the cribs so we go to the registers to check out and they ring up the crib, I remind them of the extra 30% discount and they were like oh yeah I remember you guys looking at that set then they go to ring up the dresser and it rings up full price so they bring a manager over who corrects the price of the dresser but says that the crib is under priced...uhm excuse me ma'am...no the crib is CORRECTLY priced...she basically says that we (my mom, little sister, myself and donnie) are all "mistaken" and she doesnt know where we got that price from...hmmm maybe the sales clerk we talked to for an hour about it?!? Long story not so short, the friendly manager REFUSED to honor the price they quoted us! So of course pregnant me leaves the store huffy and crying because I am convinced our baby will never have good furniture and my back hurts from standing for an hour talking about baby furniture! and the WORST part was I had to mentally uncheck the list :-( I was very, very, very sad!

So after a week of researching and finding that there really isnt any crib and dresser we like but we find a few that we are "okay" with we find another set at a different Baby Depot for about $400, while in the meantime I have been looking at Craigslist for random baby stuff and lo and behold I find a crib and dresser/changer combo for $150 that looked like what we were going to buy from Baby Depot! So I email back and forth with the seller to find out that it is a Jardine set bought from Babies-R-Us in 2005.

So we set up a time to look at it and in the meantime I print off all the info about Jardine cribs with the suspicion that the crib was actually recalled without the seller realizing it. But in preparation for this, I find that if you have a recalled Jardine crib you are eligible for a crib voucher for a new crib (any brand) from Babies-R-Us for the highest retail value of the crib you have. So I call the company assuming you need a reciept or something, nope just all the screws from the crib so they know you arent still using it and a signed waiver saying you recognize the crib is recalled and you are not going to use it anymore so we get to the sellers house and sure enough the crib is recalled but Donnie and I buy it anyway...so now we have the dresser/changer combo and a crib voucher for a BRAND NEW crib on the way!! So we will just pick a crib to match the dresser and we can save the other $250 we would have spent on the furniture from Baby Depot ORRR I can buy a nice glider without feeling guilty :-)


As for baby stuff, I am pretty quickly racking up baby stuff without really meaning to...so far we have a crib, dresser/changer combo, exersaucer, kangaroo sling, bumbo w/ tray, baby bath, baby moniters, play-mat, 2 car seat bases, baby bedding (comforter, 1 sheet, crib skirt, crib bumper which I am using to make window valences & mobile), nursery decorations (2 pictures, 2 wall hangings, light switch cover, curtains) and a boppy on the way and probably more that I am forgetting and in total we have only spent around $200! I feel more at ease having this stuff and not having to worry as much about baby gear in general...another check...and you know how I feel about checking off that check list! I would love some input from other moms though about what are the top 3 must-haves for a new mom...leave me a comment with your fav's
How far along: 18w6d
Total weight gain: I havent weighed myself this week but I have a sneaking suspicion that I have gained alot...I regularly feel like a horse :-)
Maternity clothes: I have realized I dont like the below the belly panels...
Sleep: My fatigue is back and I regularly am ready for bed around 6:30pm...clearly that isnt happening since it is 10pm and I am blogging
Best moment this week: getting to spend some time with Meg doing baby stuff
Food Cravings:Nothing really...my nausea and vomitting have returned :-( but I have come to a few realizations that this is an opportunity for me!! My goal is to 100% rely on the Lord this time around since I was kind of pathetic at doing that the 1st time. In doing this, I am managing it much better plus I was BLESSED to have about a month with no vomitting!! I am able to handle the vomitting this time much better because I had a month to renew myself, praise God!
Labor signs: none
Belly Button: innie
What I miss the most: going out for drinks w/ friends and smoking a cigarette...curse you cigarettes and your seductive charm!---> this hasnt changed
What am I looking forward to the most: our ultrasound!! It will be so nice to know that everything is healthy with the baby and getting to find out the gender will be really fun! I think it will make this pregnancy seem that much more real to know that I will be having either a son or a daughter.
Milestones: Smalls has become amazingly mobile (at least compared to me), passing the hours yawning, hiccuping, rolling, twisting, kicking, punching, sucking and swallowing. And, the little peanuts finally big enough that I should be able to feel those movements consistently in the next couple weeks! I am getting more and more anxious to meet the baby...I cant believe I am only about half way through!



2 comments:

  1. Must haves:
    1- a nipple sheild. yes, that's what I said. The one you wear while feeding. if you are in pain and need this, it's worth about a million bucks. I'll get it for you in an instant if you need one.
    2- Shout spray and wash. it takes breast fed poop out. :-)
    3- patience, peace and flexibility- :-) praise the Lord that he provides these!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete