Friday, September 18, 2009

its a miracle!! (long)

True miracle or not, it feels like it to me...I am scared to even type this in fear that it will come back to bite me in the butt....but....MY HYPEREMESIS IS GONE!! (or done...not too sure how it works?) So...I am quickly going to do a run through of my past week and a half since I havent blogged in a while...

Tues-I get a call in the morning that my paternal grandmother passed away. She was in her 90's and had been declining for the past couple years. She was in assisted living/hospice situation and my dad has said that she definitely was ready. It is sad to think that I only have one grandparent left but I have been so blessed that I had all my grandparents for so many years. I have some very distinct memories of my Grandma Eleanor such as shopping trips with her to Forest Fair Mall...she actually bought me something from the Disney store which I can confidently say my parents would have never bought my a Jasmine barbie doll from the Disney store which made my doll all the better. Getting new clothes with Grandma and visisting her at their old house in Hamilton. She will definitely be missed and is leaving behind a great legacy.


On Tues. my older sister Devon also came to visit!! She got into town Tues. prepared with fun stuff to do and yummy stuff to make me and she brought my nephew Matthew who, if I wasnt already pregnant, would have given me horrible baby fever...he is so stinkin cute!


Wed- Devon and I ventured out to the grocery store where she introduced me to all kinds of things Donnie never thought he would see in our kitchen such as wheat germ and flax seed she came prepared with a bunch of recipes that would give me the most 'bang for your buck' if you will...basically small things I could eat that would really help me nutritionally and lemme tell you-- they worked! I felt better, my stomach was less upset (minus throwing up a banana, strawberry and spinach smoothie--it was actually quite tasty until it came back up) even MORE exciting on Wed. We had our ultrasound!! The baby looks great, moved around a ton, was so cute and the machine was awesome! You could really see so much! I got some print outs which I will eventually scan and post...or take digital pics of the pictures (ghetto I know but whatev)


Thurs- Devon and I went to the wonderful Gap Clearance outlet which was fabulous and I bought a bunch of maternity stuff that I dont quite need yet but all my other clothes were just making me feel fat and lets be honest maternity pants are so much more comfortable I dont think I will ever go back


Fri- Devon and I and Mathie loaded up w/ my mom, dad and little sister Brooke and headed up to Madison, WI (where Devon lives) to see my brother compete in his first ever Ironman! For those who dont know...ironman= insanity...it is the ultimate triathalon which includes a 2.4mile swim, 112 mile bike ride and then (as if that wasnt craziness in itself) a full marathon (26.2 miles) for a total of 140.6 miles...in one day....consecutively...as I said insanity. My brother has been training for a long time (specifically the entire last year) for this one event and he did awesome!! He finished in 12 hours 27 mins (I believe, I didnt get to see him finish :( but I heard he did great!)


Sat- We just hung out, the actual Ironman was on Sunday so we just relaxed at the hotel with my brother and didnt do too much, I will say that basically everyone at the hotel was either competing or there to cheer someone on...I have never seen so many men in spandex shorts and I have never felt so lazy in my life as people come basically biking into the lobby of the hotel as Im schlumping along with my IV pole and leftovers from lunch haha


Sun- This is when things got bad, we woke up at 5am WI time to go down to watch the start of the race, I woke up feeling like I had bad allergies and in a generally bad mood (shocking, right?! being as it was 5 am and I am NOT a morning person) So we get down to the Lake where the swimming portion is going to begin and I start to feel even worse...We waited until the race started (which is pretty wild to see 2700 triatheletes all try and swim on top of each other to get ahead...with the exception of about 100 people all 2600 other competitors start at the same time, apparently it can be pretty violent as you have adults literally swimming on top of each other) Once that was done, I threw up...then we waited some more to watch my brother at the swim to bike transition which he came to about an hour or so later...We yelled and cheered...then I threw up again...Then I started throwing up alot so I decided I should go back to the hotel at this point (8:30am) I get back to the hotel by myself, take my temp and see it is about 100.0 so I go ahead and call the home health company to see what they recommend since I cant stop vomitting and I have a slight fever, they recommend that if my temp gets to 100.4 that I go to the ER in case my PICC line is infected well I fall asleep and a few hours later I wake up, take my temp and it is about 100.2 but I am still vomitting profusely at this point Alere (home health) tells me to go to the ER anyway so Devon picks me up and takes me


When I get to the ER my temp was up to 102.8 which obviously isnt good and they give me some tylenol (oh the joys of being pregnant...) and a shot of phenergen which makes me sleep well my temp continues to go up and I start to have some warming issues at this point my Gramma (who was also in town for my brothers Ironman) was staying with me at the hospital while my family (mom, dad and little sis) finished cheering on my brother. They admitted me that night and were awaiting results for the H1N1. They put me in an isolation room and every person that came in was dressed like I had the bubonic plague or something it was quite funny.


So I stay in the hospital Sun night and all day monday and tues. afternoon they came to tell me that I didnt have the swine flu! yay! but I did have an infection in my PICC line. I cried. Honestly the thought of having to get my PICC line removed and going back to a peripheral IV in my hand was more than I could handle...having to poke myself daily again for my zophran pump...more than I could handle... I just honestly was devastated b/c my PICC line had made my life so much easier! But alas, they had to take it out because infections in a PICC line are quite serious being as it is directly going into a main blood supply and blood infections=no good


So here is the miracle, awesome God part...I know many, many, many, many people were praying. I had been praying, family had been praying, friends had been praying even people I didnt know were praying...My fever went away...completely...and stayed gone and because of this they didnt have to give me any anti-biotics! And...my nausea...gone...vomitting...gone...


I was discharged from the hospital Wed. night and spent thurs. in WI to make sure I was okay before traveling home and now I am home and still....no nausea...no vomitting...NONE SINCE SUNDAY NIGHT!!! Apparently my fever took care of my hyperemesis while it was busy making me feel like crap. Ive kept down normal food and I am drinking normally and basically feeling 100% better (still tired and a little weak but nothing compared to how I had been) I honestly do think that it had to do with people praying not only for my fever to go down but for me to be COMPLETELY healed...some may say coincidence...I think it was God...the Bible says that God wont give you more than you can handle (1 Corin. 10:13- No temptation has overtaken you but such as is common to man.; and God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you can bear, but with the temptation will provide the way of escape also so that you are able to endure it). I think the Lord knew I couldnt handle the hand IV any longer my sanity was going and emotionally I could not handle going back to being even more restricted than I had already been and God, being so good, healed me and has sustained me since.


Even if my hyperemesis comes back, I will be okay. I am officially discharged from my home health company as of today and I have an appt with my midwives on Mon. and I am continually praying that my nauseau will remain managable and that my oral medication will suffice. I also am asking for prayers that if things do get bad again, I keep in mind that I am only being given that struggle because the Lord knows I can handle it!


So now that this post has become a novel I will do a quick baby update (which is kind of more for my fun little records so I can look back week by week of my pregnancy and laugh at how pathetic I was when I was sick haha)


Week 13


How far along? 13 weeks 3 days


Total weight gain? havent weighed myself since sunday but as of Sunday I was still down 15lbs


Maternity clothes? I have been wearing some mainly as I said above so I stop feeling just plain fat...I notice I have a little bit of a bump but to others I am pretty sure it looks like I need to lay off the french fries


Sleep? I havent been waking up as much to pee which is nice and being able to sleep without being hooked up to something is AMAZING!


Best moment this week? Seeing our awesome child during the ultrasound...I also got to have two ultrasounds at the hospital (not nearly as clear but still its something) It is an amazing, emotional moment seeing the life we created for the first time...it is bittersweet because we will never have that moment with our 1st pregnancy again--oh and we were able to find the heartbeat with our home doppler which was really fun!


Food cravings? Havent really had any which might be because I am able to eat more now which is nice


Labor signs? none


Belly Button? innie


What I miss most? Right now, nothing...things seem great right now!


Milestones? Finding the heartbeat at home, and getting to the second trimester!! I am so glad to know that my first trimester is over with! This week our lil nudgers teeth and vocal cords are forming and the babys intestines are moving from the umbilical cord to the baby which is much more convenient. Oh, and we skipped right on past the plum size and the baby is the size of a peach now!




2 comments:

  1. Hi Lauren, it's "big" Uncle Joe.

    What a post! Thank God for your sickness passing, I'm sorry you had to go thru such a spell to shake it. I'm sorry for your grandmother passing also.

    You and Donnie are in my prayers, I loved your house, hope you enjoy the beef.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're all praising God around here. It was exciting for the kids to see God answer they're prayers. Now we're just pressing on with the prayers for Aunt Kara. :-)
    Keep up the He will not give you more than you can handle thoughts. That is exactly what gets me through labor!
    Also, check out Ps 9:9. One of my favorites right now.

    ReplyDelete