Monday, June 21, 2010

busy busy

I enjoy being busy because I like having things going on that I look forward too but I also hate feeling like I cant pause and enjoy the moment because there is always somewhere else to be...that being said this weekend felt so busy--Donnie has been working insane hours, I think he worked something like 115 hours in 9 days?! It is such a blessing that his company is doing so well, and of course his paychecks are awesome but I miss him, alot...I think Nicholas does too

Between him being gone at work for roughly 12 hours everyday by the time he gets home, we eat dinner, feed nicholas and put him down its time for bed already and then it happens all over again and heaven forbid our grass needs mowing because than we REALLY dont see Donnie--so when weekends come I want them to not be busy but this weekend felt packed

I had my 5 year high school reunion which is kind of weird to have and kind of weird that I went but I more just wanted an excuse to dress cute (meaning wear something other than jeans and a tshirt and flip flops) and feel like a "normal" 23 year old--Ursuline does all-school reunion kind of things like this reunion was for the class of 2005, 2000, 1995, 1990, 1985, 1980, etc. So its interesting (sidenote: it will be really fun because when I have my 10 year reunion my little sister will be having her 5 reunion at the same time!)--it started with mass and then a cocktail hour (naturally) then dinner, dancing etc. It was funny because even though the invitations were for alums and their spouses/significant others there werent really many men there (even for the older women) and the men that were in attendance looked like the boys at a UA high school dance--they were being dragged around by their wives, being used to take pictures and refill drinks haha it was really strange being back in the school even though it has physically changed alot

There was one distinct moment when I was in the restroom with all of my high school friends (the bathrooms hadnt changed a bit) and we were walking out into the hallway joking and I was like wow--I feel like nothing has changed and I am back in highschool...all I needed was my plaid skirt and I woulda been there. But really, since its only been 5 years not too much has changed--I recently got a letter in the mail, I wrote it to myself my senior year of high school and my teachers just mailed it--in the letter I wrote about where I wanted to be in 5 years and much to my surprise it was pretty acurate for my life. I wanted to be married to Donnie, check, (we started dating my jr. year of high school and I knew from our 1st date on that we were going to get married haha), I wanted to be graduated from college w/ a degree that enabled me to do some sort of counseling, check, I wanted to maybe have a child/be pregnant, check, My group of friends has somewhat changed but I still keep in touch with all of my friends from back then--in getting this letter it just reaffirmed how much I love my life and how happy I've been with all of my big life decisions

When looking at my high school friends I sometimes feel like the odd man out because I married my high school sweetheart, I have bills/mortgage to pay, I dont go out every night, I have a baby, I dont go on extravagent trips to vegas or L.A., etc. I just sometimes feel like I'm not normal for my age but then I look at Nicholas and Donnie and I wouldnt trade any of it for the world....I love my guys :-), I like that I am settled down--I enjoy more just hanging out w/ my husband and baby than going out and yes I had a blast at my reunion and going out afterward but I'm just not made for that lifestyle--my feet were killing me (I wore my little sisters 5 inch heels which I think caused permanent damage to my feet), I was tired, I'm too cheap to drink anything but beer, I came home and was exhausted and knew I pushed myself too far by staying out w/ my old high school friends and now 2 days later I am paying for it as I sit here sick on the couch

My life is so good though and has turned out infinitely better than what 18 year old me could have imagined--I think I should probably write myself a letter again now and hide it away for another 5 years--its fun to see what I was thinking and what my goals were and if I had achieved them...I think my life is actually only going to get more fun as time goes on and that "my old glory days" were not so much glory days haha

1 comment:

  1. If i wrote a letter to myself at graduation it would be totally hysterical! I am certain i am now the anti-Megan of my high school. I am totally everything that I thought I would not be. An Evangelical Christian, married, stay at home mom, homeschooling while listening to conservative talk radio. LAUGH!!!!!! God is so funny.......

    ReplyDelete